Print and send in brochure to register: Day at the Hill Brochure
Day at the Hill will be held on Tuesday, March 3rd from 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. at the Education Minnesota Building, 41 Sherburne Ave in St. Paul. Registration deadline is February 24th.
MSSWA is excited to join forces with the Minnesota School Psychologists Association (MSPA) for this year’s Day at the Hill. School social workers and school psychologists will work together to inform legislators about our roles.
What is Day at the Hill?
Day at the Hill will be an opportunity for school social workers and school psychologists to come together to educate state lawmakers about how we address student barriers to academic success in cost effective ways. CEUs are awarded, so this is a staff development opportunity, not a political lobby day.
What to expect at Day at the Hill?
- Energizing speakers on advocating for students and our profession.
- MSSWA/MSPA will provide talking points to share with legislators.
- It’s EASY…MSSWA schedules personal meetings with your legislators or a legislator from the Education Finance or Policy Committee.
- Because legislators will be expecting you, it is extremely important for you to plan on attending your scheduled appointments.
Agenda for the Day:
8:30-9:00 ……Christy McCoy, MSSW President: Welcome & Review of the Day
9:00-10:15…. Keynote: SSW and School Psychologist: Supporting Students’ Mental Health: A Panel of SSWs and Psychs from across the state discuss their role in building the Educational Model of Mental Health
10:30-11:00…Legislative Updates from Linda Sandvig, MSSWA Lobbyist and Brad Lundell, MSPA Lobbyist
11:00-11:45…Review the talking points provided for appointments with legislators; Identify a personal story of how you support the Educational Model of Mental Health
12:15-3:00…March to the Capitol & Meetings with Legislators
Why should I attend?
- Make a powerful connection with your personal legislator and inform him or her how you address barriers to student academic success!
- Become energized by joining together with SSWs and psychologists from across the state!
- Contribute to your professional organization, MSSWA or MSPA, by spreading the word about the valuable contribution we make in schools.
Who should attend?
- Current or past school social workers & school psychologists
- Students interested in the field of school social work or psychology
- Friends and supporters of school social work & psychology and public education
Reserve your place for Day at the Hill by the registration deadline of February 24, 2015.
- Print out the brochure linked here, complete and mail with a check to MSSWA for $35
For more information about MSSWA, please visit the MSSWA website at: http://www.msswa.org
Section 6.04 (a) of the NASW Code of Ethics states social workers should get involved in the political process:
6.04 Social and Political Action
“(a) …. Social workers should be aware of the impact of the political arena on practice and should advocate for changes in policy and legislation ….”
- Registration for the day is only $35.00. The registration fee includes continental breakfast, lunch and 6 CEUs
- Pre-registration is required
- MSSWA will have a representative available in the rotunda until 3:00 pm to answer questions throughout the afternoon.
Contact Anne McInerney at 612-250-6862 with questions or for additional information.